Billions of people down through history have called upon the name of Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, memorized His words and followed His teachings even though they never met Him in person.
Do you have any idea how amazing it is that we in the third decade of the 21st century even know His name, much less any of the unbelievable things He said about Himself and about us?
Think about these facts about Jesus:
- He came from an obscure village, Nazareth, in a remote region, Galilee, of a backwater nation, Israel, that had been conquered and re-conquered repeatedly by the major powers surrounding it throughout ancient history, culminating in His lifetime with the imperial domination by Rome.
- Israel in Jesus’ lifetime was long past its glory days under Kings David and Solomon and had since produced no famous philosophers, no mighty warriors, no beautiful poetry or other literature memorized throughout the Middle East and the Western world, and no brilliant inventors.
- He was born into a common craftsman’s family and continued for most of His adult life in His earthly father’s plebeian career. There is no record of His ever having received advanced education of any sort, though he was schooled in the oral and written teachings of an ancient religion practiced by no other nation on earth.
- As a commoner, He was never friends with kings and queens, aristocrats, the wealthy, the most prominent religious leaders of His day, or influential merchants.
- The longest journey in His entire life was the approximately 78 miles from Galilee up to Jerusalem, a trek that He made multiple times over the course of His earthly existence. He never saw Rome. He never visited Athens. He never beheld Alexandria in Egypt.
- His followers were all common men from the same backwater region as His own and it is highly unlikely any of them would be known to us today if they didn’t follow Jesus and have their lives transformed as a result. In the three days after His death on the cross, they scattered in fear and cowardice.
- He lived centuries before the invention of the printing press that first made possible the recording and systematic long-term preservation of written communications.
- None of the great modern inventions that make our world capable of instant communications from any point on the earth to any other point were around in Jesus’ day. There were no typewriters, no radio, no television, no computers and no Internet.
- A journey from his homeland to Rome, then the most important, powerful and influential city in the world, required weeks, not hours. There were no cars, no buses or trucks, no airplanes, no motorized ships. There weren’t even any bicycles!
- His words were memorized by His followers during His lifetime and even after His death, it was four or five decades before anybody bothered to write them down.
And yet, countless people living today know the remarkable things He said and did and claimed about Himself, including these:
“I am the Light of the World. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of Life.” John 8:12
“I am the Way, the Truth and the Light. No man comes to the Father but through me.” John 14:6
“He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the sea ‘Silence! Be still!’ The wind ceased and there was great calm.” – Mark 4:39
“Father, if You are willing, take this cup away from Me — nevertheless, not My will but Yours be done.” – Luke 22:42.
“Then they will hand you over for persecution and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of my name.” Matthew 24:9
“And Jesus came and said to them ‘All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them everything I have commanded you. And remember that I am with you always, to the end of the age.'” – Matthew 28:18-20
These aren’t the words or deeds of a mere man who was simply a great speaker, a gifted linguist or an immensely talented con artist. Either He was, as C. S. Lewis once said, a lunatic — “on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse.”
And what do you say?
He Was Indeed “More Than A Carpenter”
The above is only a taste of the remarkable facts about Jesus Christ. Josh McDowell and his son Sean McDowell wrote this remarkable, compact, authoritative book that brings together much of the evidence that demonstrates Jesus was and is man and God.
Sure, it’s an incredible claim, but what makes it beyond incredible is the overwhelming evidence for its truth. You owe it to yourself to at least consider the evidence, then make up your own mind about who Jesus is.
This little book will help you do that. And it’s free! Just click on the link in the sidebar to the right here on HillFaith and follow the instructions. Your free copy of “More Than A Carpenter” will be in the mail shortly thereafter.